Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Suspense Is Key!

Yesterday I was prowling the Amazon Top 100 Paid list and stumbled across a collection of novels for $1.99 titled THE PERFECT TEN, by a handful of authors. The number of novels bundled into this pack looked like it was worth the price, since I didn't know any of them, so I gave it a shot and downloaded the massive tome to my Paperwhite.

Before I go on, I have to explain a little about my weekend/part-time job. I am a supervisor at a local movie theater. Yes, I was around when we actually had to put the six reels of film together with tape. It is a lost art that I miss dearly. I'm still a projectionist, but now it's digital, and I also do everything else about the place that needs doing. It's mindless manual labor - to a point.

Anyway, the reason I explain this is because there's a small period of time that's considered "down-time" which is the hour and a half between closing down the place and waiting for the last movies to finish. Essentially it's just waiting to be sure that nobody gets left in the building (which would be completely scary in the dark) after we leave! So, to fill this time, I usually carry my notebook around, and lately, my Kindle since it has a backlight.

Well, I opened up THE PERFECT TEN and started reading Last Chance To Run by Dianna Love.

Let me just say, WOW.

This book is my kind of book!

The suspense from the very first page was electric. I was skeptical until about the fifth page - honestly, I can't lie. I'm very unforgiving on the female protagonists of late. If the story is too involved in her brain and not enough in the actual movement of the plot, then I lose interest. Miss Love gave me just enough of her heroine, Angel's, thought process and raised the stakes immediately with just the right amount of explanation as to what happened before the first page. I've been exploring the whole idea of starting your story at the right spot, and man, this book was sprinting the moment it hit the ground, and I was unable to put my Kindle down.

I haven't finished the book yet, but I'm a quarter of the way finished. It kept me up a lot later than I anticipated. If you want to check it out, as well as read the other books in this bundle, please purchase it at Amazon while it's still on sale - the description said it was for a limited time.

If you're looking for a great example of giving the audience just enough information to move forward, as well as how to handle lots of action, give Last Chance To Run a shot. I have a feeling I'll be sad when it's over!

For more about Dianna Love, visit her website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment