Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Manga Mania

It has been a few months since I have read a good manga. For those not familiar, manga is Japanese comic books. The art is distinctive, with large eyes and awesome hair, and the stories are generally more fantastical than American comics. I love both flavors, but manga always takes me back to my Freshman year of high school when my friend Tashi lent me the first volume of Ranma 1/2. I will never forget that moment when I devoured these books, enthralled that stories could be told visually in such a long form.

Now, years later, I am still discovering manga stories. The latest is a volume I bought just the other day called Loveless. This brings me to an interesting challenge. When it comes to digital and print manga, only the child-friendly volumes are offered digitally on tablets, so I was forced to find this particular series at a brick and mortar store. The price was a little high, but I am once again getting immersed in a story. I wish that more titles were available digitally. I am very impatient and don't like to wait for books via Amazon. Is that bad that I am such an impulsive reader? I want it now, otherwise, a week later, perhaps my tastes have changed.

Happily for now I have found a hopeful new manga series to enjoy. I'm still debating signing up for a Shonen Jump manga magazine subscription though. Perhaps down the road I'll break down and give it a shot...

No comments:

Post a Comment